Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A concert to remember

I don’t like to go to concerts, as a rule. Usually they are too loud, and no band or singer can ever sound as good as they do in a studio recording. I have been to a handful of concerts, as Reno attracts a good number of big-name acts (especially for such a small town). I’ve seen Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Hornsby, Seal, Kenny Loggins, and a few others. Good concerts, but I’d often rather stay home and listen to recordings.

Last Saturday night was a glorious exception. Holly Cole and her ensemble were amazing.

If any of you don’t know about Holly Cole, you should. She’s a Canadian singer who’s been doing jazz standards and pop covers for at least 15 years.

I didn’t find out about the concert until the Wednesday before (it was on a Saturday night), and I called to see if there were any tickets available. Not only were there good seats, but the price was less than half of what I’d paid to see much glitzier, less interesting acts. I got third row center seats for $20 each.

Saturday after a nice sushi feed, my husband and I drove out to Fallon (about an hour’s drive) to the theatre. The venue was a two-story old brick building that had once been a school. We went inside, not quite sure if we’d come to the right place. The theatre was small and there were only a handful of people there. Fifteen minutes before the concert, and it was nearly empty. I was astounded.

The theatre did fill up, but not completely. But the smallish crowd in a remote desert spot didn’t keep Holly Cole and her ensemble from giving one of the best shows I’ve seen or heard. My husband, a musician, was equally impressed.

If you get a chance to go see her, do it. If not, I highly recommend getting a CD or three. I like “Temptation” where she covers Tom Waits songs, but all her stuff is amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! She's from Canada!!