Wednesday, October 23, 2013

London: Day 7

Oct 19 - Slept a solid 6 1/2 hours and got up refreshed.  It was dreary, but warm, so I walked to the tube station and decided I'd head to Westminster. Since I hopped on the wrong train, I got off at Notting Hill and decided, since it was Saturday, that I'd check out Portobello Road Market.

Holy smokes! So much stuff! There was an over-abundance of people selling silver (utensils, candelabras, Tea sets, etc.) but I broke down and bought a pewter flask.

After the preponderance of silver and antiques, the stalls started moving towards scarves and cheap trinkets and souvenirs. Then to music - vinyl, CDs, cassettes - then on to produce and prepared food.  Such smells!  Fish, crepes, cakes, curry, falafel, pastries, ice cream, huge stir fries, fried veggies, deep fried potatoes and battered everything.  Then there was clothing, mostly used, sometimes vintage and some great new stuff.  I bought two belts and looked for a skirt, but couldn't find one I liked or that fit. I bought a zip pencil case, some cheap shoes, a couple cute dresses, and listened to street musicians.

On the way out, I stopped by the Gap store and found a perfect houndstooth skirt and a pair of socks. I feel my clothing is more suited to the weather now.

After rushing back to drop off all my stuff at the hotel room, I went back and got on the correct train to Westminster.  I wandered around the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. I crossed to the South Bank and had a great lunch at the All Bar One near the London Eye. Had a brief conversation with an artist from Washington DC about the Tate Modern, then wolfed down a burger with camembert and caramelized onions. Also had a lovely cider.

I walked along the south bank back towards Southwark and found I was really tired, so I went back to Kensington and my neighborhood.  Had a pint at the Blackbird, which was full of loud men cheering on… some football team.

Back to the room for a rest.  Having hot chocolate, yoghurt and a banana.

No comments: